Courage

“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it.
The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
– Nelson Mandela

Tibet

“Real courage is when you know you’re licked before you begin,
but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.”
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Helsinki, Finland

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones;
and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace.
God is awake.”

– Victor Hugo

Kolkata (Calcutta), India

“All happiness depends on courage and work.”
– Honoré de Balzac

Peshawar, Pakistan

“Courage is found in unlikely places.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Kampala, Uganda

Vrindavan, Uttar Pradesh, India

Kashmir

“Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear – not absence of fear.”
– Mark Twain

Los Angeles, California, USA

New York City, New York, USA

“You do not need to know precisely what is happening, or exactly where it is all going.
What you need is to recognize the possibilities and
challenges offered by the present moment, and to

embrace them with courage, faith and hope.”
– Thomas Merton

Los Angeles, California, USA

“Bran thought about it. ‘Can a man still be brave if he’s afraid?’
‘That is the only time a man can be brave,’ his father told him.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Afghanistan

Hong Kong

“Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage,
you can’t practice any other virtue consistently.”

― Maya Angelou

Lourdes, France

“Courage is not the absence of fear; it is the conquest of it.”
– William Danforth

Herat, Afghanistan

Kabul, Afghanistan

“Courage is not having the strength to go on;
it is going on when you don’t have the strength.”
– Theodore Roosevelt

Chitral Valley, Pakistan

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
it is the courage to continue that counts.”

― Winston S. Churchill

Batticaloa, Sri Lanka

Thailand

“What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?”
– Vincent van Gogh

Baluchistan, Pakistan

Kuwait

“Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.”
― Anaïs Nin

New York City, New York, USA

“Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon,
there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always
difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right.
To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the
same courage that a soldier needs.
Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Courage

1. Pingback: Courage — Steve McCurry’s Blog | Anemix and the Jabberwocky

2. Claudio says:

thanks for your pics Steve.

3. Pingback: Courage, Steve McCurry – Mírame y sé color

4. So many powerful images, So much courage, that makes me feel so much gratitude for the place that I was born.. For there for the grace of God, could I go.. Mankind has a long way to go, before we can irradiate such needless suffering..

5. Jacqueline Martin says:

Extraordinaire

Jackie

6. Reblogged this on A Readmill of my mind and commented:
    Just watch appreciate ….

7. Searingly accurate and beautifully illustrated

8. Well Steve, once more your work astounds. Each image capturing the courageous spirit of mankind. Thank you…

9. Emanuela Magi says:

Remarkable work. You caught and reproduced their inner feelings. Amazing, surprising, stunning. Best pictures for me: the old man from Beluchistan and the young kid from Kuwait. Two generations with the same problem and the same expression

10. Al Stegmeyer says:

Steve,
    I always look forward to your posts. Last year I stepped on the wrong thing. My leg was amputated above the knee. It’s been a tough go. As usual your images got me thinking … and feeling … about my struggle, my $30,000 prosthetic, tilting bed … medications..etc. The courage you have revealed us stunning. Your courage is also inspiring… always has been.

Al Stegmeyer

11. Christy B says:

This is incredible. Wow.

12. These made me cry.

13. June Renvall says:

Like, Wow. Just the encouragement needed at this juncture. We have a lot of work to do on this old, hurting world. Make everything you do in life say I love you. You may not think it matters, but enough I love you’s are just the rudder Mother Earth needs. Every moment matters 💟

14. Striking photo collection and words. Gave me a lot to think about. Thank you.

15. cecile53 says:

this post made me cry a lot. It also showed the terrible madness of this world.

16. Margarida Marques says:

Very moving. Thanks for making us reflect about ourselves and about our lives in this small and endangered planet.

17. amlanbiswas says:

really powerful images

awesome snaps… the kid in the car is very beautiful pic

19. abraham says:

Very touching images….

20. Rajiv says:

Powerful images

21. JoAnna says:

Reblogged this on Anything is Possible! and commented:
    Powerful images and perspectives on courage.

Thank you for the gift of these photos and accompanying words. So inspirational.

23. jandschandler@rogers.com says:

Dear Steve This Blog was from God (however the God is named) for me. My son just died. As his Mother, I join the thousands that you photograph. As mothers, we need a unique courage only mothers can know. It is a special, impenetrable space. Only we have the key. We live after our children. The wrong order has bitten us. Please, sometime, do a piece on bereft mother’s. sadly there is way too much data available to you. Thank you for your blogs. I devour them. Sharon Chandler

Sent from my iPhone

24. Jane Lurie says:

Courage, purpose and compassion. Your images tell profound stories, Steve. Thank you.

25. Your lens has a direct connection with your heart and your images touch of ours. Thanks Steve.

26. MONICA MARTELLI CASTALDI says:

Thank you so much Steve. Your work enriches our life. We don’t understand how wealthy and lucky we are… we complain… But looking at your pictures, our eyes open: so many kids, so many people, in such a strong need, while we regret and feel unlucky, unhappy…. You move our silly brains and allow us to be aware. A very special, important, gift. THANK YOU.

27. Myriade says:

Photography from the heart – thank you

Thank you again Stevebhai. Your images are so moving,touching, inspiring and breathtaking.

The brave may not live forever, but the cautious don’t live at all.

29. Catherine Durbano says:

Just FAN!!!! Thank you. .

30. Amy says:

Thank you so much for the courage post, Steve. Hard to click “like”…

31. Dear Steve Sir…. I love all your images, I started by looking at your images to learn about art of photography over a period of time they have taught me so much more than photography. Respect for humanity and human values are among the highest on them…

32. Jill Hoffman says:

Steve, you have a great deal of courage yourself…. XO, Jill

33. I was so incredibly moved by your images – that express the root of these words. I had to reblog and share it further and beyond. Thank you so much!

34. dejahgatz says:

Your photos evoke so many emotions. Simply beautiful ❤

35. vivlm says:

Reblogged this on vivlm and commented:
    Thank you Steve again utterly inspirational esp in light of Grenfell tower disaster, makes us all think of similar events and courageous individuals

36. Pingback: Courage — Steve McCurry’s Blog – Fiesta Estrellas

37. jumpofffindwings says:

Reblogged this on Jump off; Find Wings and commented:
    As life poses new challenges, courage becomes all: “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.” Nin’s quote equals truth.

38. Hanna says:

39. Ancientfoods says:

Your photos always take my breath away. Thank you!

40. Thank you, Steve. Just when I start feeling blue, you remind me what most people have to face every day and I thank God for my blessings.

41. Linda Clarke says:

Your work is so wonderful and inspiring that saying that just seems redundant. You capture the personality.

42. Dr. Rex says:

Reblogged this on It Is What It Is and commented:
    Steven McCurry’s photography is simply amazing!! ❤️

43. Que tu valentia siempre triunfe sobre el miedo . Love you Steve

44. So much of courage these days is called on following the need to stand against and go on in spite of the atrocities man commits upon man. Imagine how much more we could achieve if the courage we required was to face the challenges of nature without the ugliness of war, hate, or greed. Thank you for this post.

45. eric says: