Grace and Grit

Stronger by weakness, wiser men become
As they draw near to their eternal home.
Leaving the old, both worlds at once they view
That stand upon the threshold of the new.
– Edmund Waller

Karelia, Russia

Brazil

When we’re young we have faith in what is seen, but when we’re old we know that what is seen is traced in air and built on water.
– Maxwell Anderson

Lebanon

Zagreb, Croatia

Vrindavan, Uttar Pradesh, India

The great secret that all old people share is that you really
haven’t changed in 70 or 80 years.

Your body changes, but you don’t change at all.
– Doris Lessing

South Korea

Lourdes, France

Grow old along with me.  The best is yet to be.
– Robert Browning

Paris, France

It takes a long time to become young.
–  Pablo Picasso

India

The longer I live the more beautiful life becomes.
–  Frank Lloyd Wright

USA/Mexico Border

Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
– Mark Twain, Following the Equator

Venice, Italy

Those who love deeply never grow old;
they may die of old age, but they die young.
– Dorothy Canfield Fisher

Kashmir

Father Time is not always a hard parent, and, though he tarries
for none of his children, often lays his hand lightly upon those who
have used him well;
making them old men and women inexorably
enough, but leaving their
hearts and spirits young and in full vigour.

With such people the grey head is but the impression of the
old fellow’s hand in giving them his blessing, and every wrinkle but
a
notch in the quiet calendar of a well-spent life.
–  Charles Dickens

Karelia, Russia

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
with a red hat that doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
and satin candles, and say we’ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired
and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
and run my stick along the public railings
and make up for the sobriety of my youth…
– Jenny Joseph

Lhasa, Tibet

Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
– Garson Kanin

Yugoslavia

Old age has a great sense of calm and freedom.
-Plato

Kosovo

The answer to old age is to keep one’s mind busy
and to go on with one’s life as if it were interminable.
I always admired Chekhov for building a new house when he was
dying of tuberculosis.

– Leon Edel

Belgrade, Serbia

Shanghai, China

A man’s age is something impressive, it sums up his life:
maturity reached slowly and
against many obstacles, illnesses cured, griefs and despairs overcome, and unconscious risks taken; maturity formed
through so many desires, hopes, regrets,
forgotten things, loves.
A man’s age represents a fine cargo of experiences and memories.

– Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Wartime Writings 1939-1944, translated from French by Norah Purcell

Yemen

Old age has its pleasures, which, though different,
are not less than the pleasures of youth.
– W. Somerset Maugham

STEVE McCURRY, A LIFE IN PICTURES, by Bonnie McCurry, will be published in November, 2018.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Grace and Grit

1. “Cuando les cuenten que envejecer es una cosa fantástica, porque la experiencia y la sabiduría… mienten como bellacos. Envejecer es una puta mierda”, Joaquin Sabina, Spanish singer
    Wonderful photos !

I do not want to boast but I recognize myself in many of these and I hope to continue that way till the end
    Roger Ouellet soon 94 years old

3. Such a beautiful images! I love your picture and your photographs skills are really great. thanks for sharing these amazing photographs with us.

4. Beautiful images.
    I always love your images Dear Steve.
    They’re inspiring.🙏
    Yours Truly :
    Chandan D.Naik Gaonkar
    Panaji_Goa_India

5. Pingback: Grace and Grit _ this is such a fantastic collection – of photos and of words, wanted to share. Hope you will enjoy it. Meantimes, a new poem is brewing….watch this space! | themarcistagenda

Wonderful, compelling, beautiful images and quotes as usual. ”“We don’t stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.”
    Thank you Stevebhai.

7. Jane Lurie says:

A wonderful celebration of aging. Magnificent portraits, Steve. Life really is getting more beautiful…

8. Leonardo says:

Amazing post! Congratulations.

9. franceslk says:

Thank you for this beautiful and thought provoking post.

10. lili Soleil. says:

As I get Older I realise it is all so true.

11. treesshrubs says:

I bow 🙏🙏🙏

12. These are fantastic. Thank you so much for this gift of beauty and wisdom.

Wonderful and yes, there ARE good things when you are getting on!

14. katigy says:

Dear Steve, Thank You! You posted this on my 33rd birthday, and your pictures and quotes touched me even more than they do usually. May your old days be full of joy and your life long and happy.

15. Mitzy Mo says:

It’s wonderful how you see life and share it with others. Indeed life reaches its beauty as you grow. Thanks a lot !!

16. pmdello says:

Simply wonderful. Thank you. 🙂

17. Pingback: Grace and Grit – Timeless Wisdoms

18. Reblogging to sister site “Timeless Wisdoms”

19. Leya says:

Perfect – as usual. Contemplation well spent.

Thank you for the amazing images and wonderful quotes.

21. habner1 says:

TIMING: For me this much appreciated work of yours arrived at a poignant time. I just returned from a week at the beach. It was a week of depression for it has finally dawned on me that the beach life is no more for me. Here, once again, your photos with attached quotations are helpful. Thank you.

22. Wonderful photographs and equally so the accompanying words. Thanks for creating the images and for sharing your visions.

23. Steve McCurry images are so compelling. Thank you for permission to use your work for my learning watercolor. Where can I post a jpg for your collection?

24. emilysuzanna says:

Thank you. These pictures and the quotations make up a fine meditation on a Sunday morning.

25. Dr. Rex says:

Reblogged this on It Is What It Is and commented:
    GRACE AND GRIT … always amazing photography!! Enthralling!!

26. taphian says:

beautiful gallery of photos and moving quotes

27. Sue says:

Great set of images on a theme, Steve

28. jumpofffindwings says:

Reblogged this on Jump off; Find Wings and commented:
    Today I’m drafting an article about retirement, referencing an article in Everyday Health and reading from Brain Pickings. All thoughts converge in Steve McCurry’s blog—as they so often do: his genius. To repeat: “A man’s age represents a fine cargo of experiences and memories.” To add: “…And if, with the decay of vitality, weariness increases, the thought of rest will not be unwelcome. I should wish to die while still at work, knowing that others will carry on what I can no longer do…what was possible has been done.” Bertrand Russell

29. Alberto Tommasi says:

beautiful images and texts Steve! I’m very happy to know your great job, thanks!