The World’s Ride

The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind.
– William Saroyan

West Bengal, India

West Bengal, India

Kabul, Afghanistan

Kabul, Afghanistan

The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man.
Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish.
Only the bicycle remains pure in heart.
– Iris Murdoch

Indonesia

Indonesia

China

China

Bicycle Haiku
Wheels  carried me from
Youth to middle to old age
Never complaining.
– Kay Earle

Angkor Wat, Cambodia

Angkor, Cambodia

Rajasthan, India

Rajasthan, India

The first real grip I ever got on things
Was when I learned the art of pedaling
– Seamus Heaney

Bangladesh

Bangladesh

Morocco

Morocco

My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles.
They both move people forward without wasting anything.
The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.
– Peter Golkin

Mali, Africa

Mali, Africa

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.
– President John F. Kennedy

Kabul, Afghanistan

Kabul, Afghanistan

Cuba

Cuba

Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race.
– H.G. Wells

India

India

A bicycle does get you there and more…
And there is always the thin edge of danger to
keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs become dogs
again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal.
And getting there is all the fun.
– Bill Emerson, On Bicycling, Saturday Evening Post, 1967

Afghanistan

Afghanistan

Nepal

Nepal

I feel that I am entitled to my share of lightheartedness and there is
nothing wrong with enjoying one’s self simply, like a boy.
– Leo Tolstoy, Responding to criticism for learning to ride a bicycle at age 67

Dublin, Ireland

Dublin, Ireland

Angkor, Cambodia

Angkor, Cambodia

It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the
perfection of the bicycle was the greatest event of the nineteenth century.
– Unknown

Kandahar; Qandahar; Afghanistan

Kandahar, Afghanistan

Mandalay, Burma/Myanmar

Mandalay, Burma

Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
– Lord Charles Beresford

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

67 Responses to The World’s Ride

1. Charlie says:

Reblogged this on Through the Amber Spyglass and commented:
    Riveting photos and inspirational quotes

2. I’ve been desperately trying to get my 9 year old daughter to let go of her fears and push herself harder to learn to ride her bicycle. I think I’ll share this post with her.

3. Pingback: The World’s Ride — Steve McCurry’s Blog | Taherkarger

4. macingosh says:

Love the photos… as a cyclist and as a photographer.

Did the Berlin-Leipzig cycling tour. With these magnificent bicycle photos and your photo of the Grand Trunk Road (with camel-transport, no bikes though) I’m now dreaming of a ride from Kabul to Bangladesh…. na ya – perhaps Berlin-Copenhagen will do next year in the summer!

6. frame from simple lives grate work.. amazing…

7. Pingback: My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library. – Peter Golkin | Luminance

8. Pingback: The World’s Ride (Steve McCurry’s Blog) | JACINTº

9. annicaaktiv says:

Great shots! I like to see elements from several parts of the world in the same theme 🙂

10. Jacintº says:

Reblogged this on JACINTº and commented:
    As you know, I’m a big fan of bicycles, seeing this post by Steve McCurry’s, I wanted to expose as a sign of admiration for his great work.

Como ya sabéis, soy un gran entusiasta de las bicicletas, al ver este post de Steve McCurry’s, he querido exponerlo como signo de admiración a su gran obra.

11. Pingback: Construire en pédalant nos villes du futur | Mindful News

12. Interesting stuff man! good post, made me appreciate my bike.

13. The very first picture seems to be dated back to the 70s or 80s. Most of the passenger-trains are colored blues nowadays in India. The red ones are used to carry goods. Perhaps ,some red-colored ones might be still in function in the hill-stations.

Nevertheless, your pictures talk.Each picture tells us a story. Respect!!

14. ETargonska says:

Przepiękne kadry, głęboka opowieść. Jak zawsze po obejrzeniu mam ochotę wziąć aparat , by zrobić zdjęcie choć w części dobre jak Twoje Steve.

15. Pingback: Links to share | standingoutinmyfield

16. Sameer R. Rao says:

You are a great story teller Steve

17. roykarlsvik says:

Every time I see one of your pictures it instantly makes me want to load a camera with film containing some nice colours. I only wish I could do a fraction of what you are able to do, but you are still the greatest inspiration and giving me reasons to at least try… 🙂
    Thank you for a great post, and especially for the “Teeth Maker” who really made my day!

18. Love the photo’s as always!

19. Glorious post! Your photos are amazing .. You capture the world with your camera 😄

20. Peter lloyd says:

Love the quotes and super pictures, at age 70 the one day I really look forward to is a Monday morning, when I go out with the lads on our long rides,great fun,and friendship and keeps me fit as well.

21. Pingback: Thèmes photos | Photography

22. Fantastic subject and photos, it’s true, a bicycle gives freedom and is mostly peaceful! Thanks for this post!

23. Wow what a stunning shot!!..just simple and u have captured that very well

24. gabbartrip says:

Stunning photographs about a truly genius machine. And now, off to ride one, thanks to the photos! 🙂

25. Pingback: UNA ODA FOTOGRÁFICA A LA BICICLETA por STEVE McCURRY – ElTíoDeLaBici

26. Mary Cifone says:

What an amazing concept for beautiful photographs. Couldn’t pick one of them that I liked better than the remainder. You are a genius with God given talent to see common things in a creative way. Thanl you!

27. Carole Free says:

now I am longing for a bike🚴At 80

28. Rosa Almeida says:

Lindas fotos, parabéns pelo seu maravilhoso trabalho.

29. Absolute fantastic pictures, thank you.

30. ahil.mg@gmailc.om says:

Your pics are awesome Steve, each time I see an update from you, I yearn to travel and click. You are my biggest inspiration

31. Jen nikolaeff says:

Nothing reminds me more of the beauty of being, and of living…

32. aliki says:

Happiness thank you!

33. lisecharmel says:

gorgeous, as always
    I learned one of my most important lessons in life by watching bike races

34. Debbie Ram says:

I enjoy your work immensely
    It evokes more than just aesthetic pleasure but really gives me a sense of being there, sounds, smells, etc. That Serendipity always comes through your work.
    Love this collection, now wanting to dig through the garage and go on a bike journey (with the camera of course)

35. cyclerist says:

Reblogged this on Cyclerist and commented:
    Amazing cycling photos from around the world!

36. cyclerist says:

Wow, just wow! Thanks for this post, really made my day!!! 🙂

37. Al stegmeyer says:

Steve. As usual you change my view, which changes me … For the better.

38. Your photographs are always telling a story and make me travel on your side. Thank you for sharing and I always share with my friends on facebook as I think many many people must see and appreciate your work. Well done.

39. Pingback: The World’s Ride — Steve McCurry’s Blog: Look To Learn #education #globaled – Our Global Classroom

40. Giselle says:

mágicas imágenes, me han llevado a cada una de esos lugares

41. Kim DeLong says:

Your work is remarkable. Thanks so much for sharing it. It is a great gift. Best, Kim

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Steve McCurrys Blog wrote:

> Steve McCurry posted: “The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind. – > William Saroyan The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. > Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle > remains pure in heart. – Iris Murdoch ” >

42. This made me smile so much.

43. MK says:

When the email arrives that you’ve made another post, I immediately open your gift. And afterwards, I have regained some faith in the human race.

44. Dick Glaser says:

This could go on and on…Thanks Steve!

45. adrineaa11 says:

Steve, as always you bring the world to us in so many entertaining and insightful ways. Thank you!

46. love cycling the special kind of freedom it brings is always there- especially loving this post

47. Tommy Wong says:

Wonderful shots! So much humanity!

48. Steve, this is a wonderful recollection of photos with a theme I truly cherish, bicycles! Wonderful quotes to accompany them…
    I simply love your work, immensely!
    You’re the man!!! 🙂

49. Ancientfoods says:

Stunning photos, so personal and yet non invasive.

50. Luke Ogar says:

As always, breathtaking. Thank you Steve McCurry!

51. Mansukh says:

Simply superb set of photographs once again, makes me want to take up cycling again. Thank you Stevebhai.

52. tassiedi says:

Thanks for this wonderful collection, Steve. Is it OK if I share this with Bicycle Network Tasmania supporters?

53. Thanks you . Also loved teaching my grandkids to get moving on those two wheels. Freedom!!!

54. Bill says:

Now i want to go riding a bike.

55. I love bicycle photos under any circumstances, but yours are the best! I love it — “the world’s ride.” It certainly is!

56. Tantalizing images and locales. Another story told in beautiful photographs and words.

57. Lovey post… What’s not to love about cycling from childhood through being an adult? I would add the photo of Einstein of joyously riding his bike.

58. CrimsonAzureVerdant says:

Lovely! I love love love all your photographs and posts.. Each one better than the last.. Its a treasure trove of life and all its moments.. Thanks for sharing..

I have now seen all shots, one even better and more exciting than the next….Great series.

Absolutely, I love mine and ride it every day, the freedom it gives you , so much better than a car..The Dutch and their cycles are inseparable, as we all know. Wonderful photo.

61. marilee pittman says:

I wish I had kept up riding a bike. Gorgeous photos. Thank you.

62. Shari Doran says: