Finding Home

Home should be an oratorio of the memory,
singing to all our after life melodies and
harmonies of
old remembered joy.
– Henry Ward Beecher

Herat, Afghanistan

Home is the nicest word there is.
– Laura Ingalls Wilder

Jodhpur, India

Sahel, Africa

Home is where, when you cross its threshold,
you finally feel at peace.
–  Dennis Lehane

Cambodia

Baluchistan, Pakistan

A  home is one of the most sacred of places.
It is a sanctuary into which men flee from the
world’s perils and alarms.
It is a resting-place to which at close of day the weary
retire to gather new strength for the
battle and toils of tomorrow.
It is the place where love learns its lessons,
where life is schooled into discipline and strength,
where character is molded.
– J.R. Miller

Tawi-Tawi, Philippines

Home is where one starts from.
– T.S. Eliot

Baluchistan

Allendale, South Carolina, USA

Nouakchatt, Mauritania

Where thou art, that is home.
– Emily Dickenson

La Fortuna, Honduras

Home is any four walls that enclose the right person.
– Helen Rowland

Kashmir

Karelia, Russia

Morocco

Nor need we power or splendor,
wide hall or lordly dome;
the good, the true, the tender-
these form the wealth of home.
– Sarah J. Hale

Karelia, Russia

Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
they have to take you in.

– Robert Frost

Mizoram, India

It takes a lot of living to make a house a home
It doesn’t make any difference how rich you get to be
How much your chairs and tables cost, how great your luxury
It isn’t home to you though it be the palace of a king,
Until somehow your soul is wrapped round everything.
– Paraphrase of Edgar Guest poem, Home

McCurry family home, Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, USA

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Finding Home

1. sejalsingh21 says:

YOUR PICTURES…..ARE AMAZING ALONG WITH AMAZING LINES..
    A HOME IS A PLACE WHERE A FAMILY LIVES WITH EACH OTHER ACCEPTING THEIR FLAWS……WITH LOVE..

2. Simply…. amazing and beautiful! A breathtaking journey among people and cultures…
    As our Mind/Spirit is without knowing boundaries, for sure each one of us had the chance to live in some of these corners around the world… life’s after lifes. This I love to think since I feel myself like being a citizen of the world! :-)claudine

3. MJF Images says:

Truly excellent environmental portraiture but I’m also liking your landscapes.

4. Pingback: Wo das Herz Zuhause ist … | La Imperial Feng

5. Ajay says:

Hi Stevebhai, my uncle has introduced me to your blogs. They are always beautiful and meaningful. Your subject matter is usually things that we experience every day but don’t think too deeply about and then you bring it up and take us on a world journey. Excellent as always.

6. writerinsoul says:

“Ah! There’s nothing like staying home for real comfort.” -Jane Austen

7. Leya says:

Stories everywhere. Your photos and themes are always thought provoking and inspiring.

8. Home sweet home 🙂

9. jumpofffindwings says:

Reblogged this on Jump off; Find Wings and commented:
    An idea that resides within: home.

10. Fabulous portrayal of the many ways habitation makes a home. Stunning photos and touching stories that almost certainly live inside. Thank you!

11. I’m looking forward to your exhibition in Porto, Portugal. As for this post I must say the concept of home has been spinning in my head for the past eight months, when I realised that I would have to say good-bye to my parents’ house, where I lived for over 20 years. That WAS home. I don’t know why it is so difficult… Anyway, I will go through your post over and over again and hope it will help me figure it out . There are not many people who can understand humanity the way you do. Thank you, Steve.

12. Myrna says:

Lovely photos and quotes. Made me focus on the gratitude I feel for my home. Thank you.

What a beautyfull world as say our friend Louis Armstrong. Many thanks for your fantastics pictures.

14. Martina says:

Hi Steve , i am enthusiastic about these beautiful photos. Thanks

15. Mitzi Gellman says:

Beautiful.

16. I love your blog and your wonderful insightful photographs. This blog is my favorite to date. Thank you for sharing your work.

Outstanding series, depicting ‘home is where the heart is’

Once again, a beautiful set of photographs from all over the world and equally beautiful quotes .
    Thank you Stevebhai.
    “It’s funny. When you leave your home and wander really far, you always think, ‘I want to go home.’ But then you come home, and of course it’s not the same. You can’t live with it, you can’t live away from it. And it seems like from then on there’s always this yearning for some place that doesn’t exist. I felt that. Still do. I’m never completely at home anywhere.”

19. Sue says:

A wonderful collection, illustrating diversity and humanity

your pictures always move me. Thanks.

21. Thank you for always taking me to faraway places I will never otherwise see ~ and to see it through such artistic eyes ~ only to bring me home again to a neighborhood near where I grew up, and one I have visited many times.

22. Lisa Enqvist says:

I was Homesick for a place I only heard of as a child. My grandparents were far away. Our family was constantly on the move all my childhood. Coming home to the place that had been a yearning in my mother’s stories is a memory that will never leave me.

23. K. Joseph says:

And you came home at the end…

24. Miguel says:

A beautiful collection of photographs that capture the humanity of all of our neighbours, where ever they live and whatever their socio-economic situation. Thanks,

25. Jane Lurie says:

Home is where the heart is, and made images of homes of all kinds. I love that you ended with your family home, Steve. A moving collection.

26. egosqueaustin says:

Steve, After traveling the whole wide world, where do you call “home”?..
    Love your work.. Fran P.

27. Bikram says:

I always eagerly wait for your notification. It’s always great learning for me.